Thursday, October 6, 2011

Interview an Artist

I Interviewed Rhea Nowak, a professor here and my advisor.

1. What motivates you to do your artwork?

       -Life experiences and metaphors

2. What are you trying to communicate through your artwork?

       -For this she sent me to her website, rheanowak.com, to take a look at her artist statement, particularly the last line:


Different formats have always intrigued me both formally and metaphorically. A long narrow format in the horizontal is reminiscent of the horizon or a timeline, in the vertical it reaches into infinite space. I associate this long narrow format with continuity and interconnectedness and am reminded I am always part of a much greater whole, one so much greater than the human imagination that I am simultaneously humbled and inspired. The square format is a young circle- awkward to turn but able to have four orientations and maintain its shape. I often create squares out of long and narrow formats or build other shapes out of squares. It is in the process of taking things apart and rebuilding them that I see aspects and relationships in new and intriguing ways. This expands my perceptions of and actions in the world.
I am intrigued by the relationships between clarity and chaos, rhythm and awkwardness, mark and intention, presence and absence.

3. What interests you in the artworld?

       -Museums and galleries. Seeing other professional artists' work that is out there.
       -Technology in art and how it has changed so much over the last few decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment